Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Crazies Week 1 in Psych

Well, I'm in psych now. I'm back in Ohio and I'm stuck in this psych business for 4 weeks. Jake left this morning. Needless to say, I've been in better moods before. I spend my mornings at an inpatient geriatric psych ward and my afternoons in an outpatient setting with a different doctor. As of now, I really like the morning stuff. As of now, I hate the afternoon.

Inpatient: I have a schizophrenic patient who just makes my day. She's pretty old and looks really good for her age, but she has no clue what she is saying. I just laugh and laugh. Today she told me to go put some clothes on when I left. Yesterday, she told me that I look exactly like my preceptor so we must be siblings. (He's middle aged, Middle Eastern, and looks nothing like me.) Jesus also tells her every single day "To behave." She is constantly talking about inappropriate sexual things to the other patients and nurses, but she never speaks like that to me or Dr. S. She did hug and try to kiss him yesterday. It's very very humorous. And for everyone who is chastising me for laughing at a patient....too bad, it's funny. And she sits there and laughs right with us...she doesn't have a clue what she's laughing at, but it's ok. The doc I'm working with is fantastic. He sat down with me to make out a schedule for how we're going to go over all the material. I really am happy with him.

Outpatient: I hate it. I'm not too pleased with my experience thus far. I don't want to get into it too much on here, but I disagree with a lot that the doctor does. I dread going there and my afternoon drags on. Again, I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment