Saturday, February 12, 2011

I'm Scared of Dying

This is actually something we hear every single day. New patients will come in because they are afraid of having heart disease, not knowing about it, and dropping over dead. When a patient who has heart disease says that to Dr. T, he has an interesting response. "Well , you might as well get over that right now. You are going to die some day, it will probably be from your heart considering it's the number one killer in America, and as far as I know, we have no say in when that will happen." The patients usually look shocked and then nod their head in agreement. That usually ends the discussion.

Dr. T is so amazing with his patients. He knows how to talk to them, individually, when to take a more holistic discussion (this is Boulder) without compromising care, and being very kind to them.

A funny story: he has a patient who is in her late 90's. I saw that on the schedule and said "Wow, our next patient is 97!" And he said, "Oh it's going to be a lovefest in there! An interesting fact about her, she doesn't dream." My response "wow that is interesting but how on earth did that conversation ever come out."
We walk in the room, he gives her a hug, we sit down and she says, "Dr. have I ever told you that I don't dream." I almost fell off the chair laughing. He looked at me with a look that said "that's how I found out."

No comments:

Post a Comment