Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Last Week of Peds :(

Yup that's a sad face. I hate leaving Jake. Bah. Anyways, this rotation has gone really well. I have to admit it was a pretty easy rotation. I mean, yeah I have to work hard and all, but my hours were amazing, and seeing only 20ish patients a day is pretty sweet.

I have some good stories from today.

Story 1- I'm in the room doing well child checks on siblings: 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl. I ask the 6 year old what he likes to do for fun. His response: "I like to throw fake spiders at my sister and make her scream." How fun! Seriously, it's pretty close to impossible to not laugh at these hilarious things. At the age of 3, kids should be able to answer questions like who's a boy or girl, hot and cold stuff, etc. When I asked if she was a boy or girl, she looked at me like it was the stupidest question in the whole and in a very exasperated tone: "Giiiiirrrrl." Like duh Jenny. When I asked if her brother was nice to her "Nope."

Story 2- Twin 4 year old boys. I asked them to each draw a picture: Twin 1 of his mom and twin 2 of his dad. At that age, it's really crazy, but they usually will not add the body. It's usually a head with a face, two very long legs OR arms (not both) and feet (or hands). So twin 1 draws his beautiful picture of his mom. Twin 2 draws his dad and then says "Oh wait, I didn't draw his penis." Somehow, I held it together and said "Well that's ok." He drew it anyways...right between his legs. Again, how do you not laugh?

Story 3- I'm doing a physical on a 12 year old boy. He's relatively overweight. We get through the history, and I tell him to take off his shirt so I can examine him. He starts sobbing. His mom tells me that he's very self conscious. Wanting to avoid all conflict and 12 year old sobbing episodes, I tell him to forget it, I'll just work around his shirt. Mom, however, disagrees with me and yells at him, saying that everyone goes to the doctor and has to take their shirts off. He ended up doing it, but was not a happy camper. I was just so surprised at his sudden outburst of tears. I'm used to the 2 year olds crying, not 12.

Story 4- We went to the hospital to go check on a newborn. I've seen this baby for a few days now so we "know" the family. When we walk in the hospital room, mom has her shirt around her neck, a breastpump connected to one boob and the other just hanging out. Now, being in medical school, I've seen a lot of boobs, but that was a first for me. It's just like one of those moments where you're thinking "WHOA!" but you can't show any surprise on your face. I see and hear the oddest things every day, and somehow just keep a neutral look on my face (at least I hope I do).

2 comments:

  1. I love these stories! No way would I be able to hold it together! It sounds like you are really great with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor kid! :( I remember hating having a physical at 12 too.

    ReplyDelete