Sunday, June 27, 2010

Audition Rotation

I recently finished up my first audition rotation. This is basically a rotation at a program I'm interested in for residency, which means that the entire two weeks was an interview. I went in knowing that I was going to bust my ass in trying to impress them; what I didn't know was that I would fall in love with the program and not mind the busting at all. I rarely looked at the clock. I immediately clicked with the residents. I scrubbed on so many surgeries. I finally learned a one handed knot. My suturing skills improved. They let me deliver a baby (this is a big deal because I barely knew them and other medical students don't get to always do them). They complimented me everyday! I went in on the weekends to impress them some more (this is not a requirement of the rotation). My schedule was hard. I basically came home and slept every night.
Monday- 8:30-7:30
Tuesday- 6-6
Wednesday- 6-6
Thursday 6 am- 8:30 am on Friday morning (yes this is 26 hr shift)
Friday-day off because I took call
Saturday-5- 5
Sunday 5-5
....and so on.

I obviously did a good job because at the end of the rotation the program director told me I did very well, he heard nothing but good things, and that I definitely will be getting an interview in October!!!! I am so excited! I would love to match at this program, but I refuse to get ahead of the game. There are only 3 spots and one of them goes to a male. That leaves me with getting one of two spots. I know I did well, but there are other students who will be rotating through and who will do well. So this was the start of my residency application....there's still a lot that has to happen.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad it went well! I knew you'd kick ass!! Fingers crossed you get the spot!!! :)

    ReplyDelete