Monday, October 26, 2009

What's a Normal Family?

The thing with peds, is that you establish a relationship with the child and the parents...so basically the whole family. Dr. S has been telling me lately that there is no such thing as a "normal" family. Everybody has shit that happens...bad grades, divorce, kid acting out, drugs, anxiety, depression...you get the drift. He told me that he used to be a lot more judgmental before he had kids. Because, things happen. You can't control every single thing about your children. And when these things happen, they happen to your entire household. Everyone experiences it...all from different viewpoints, but they all get to deal with it. Today we had two cases that I tried to wrap my head around. 1. a teenager who has been getting into drugs, truancy, failing...except an A in a science class. He's depressed...and Dr. S and the mom were talking today about sending him away to some military sort of school. My opinion? He's bored. His one A proves that he's interested in something...I think he probably thinks the rest of school is boring and a waste of time so he finds other things to do. Are they wrong? Of course. Why do I think this? One, Jake got D's in a bunch of his high school classes (including chemistry) because he was bored and didn't want to do the work. He's getting his PhD in chemistry now...I think he's bright enough. Anyways, back to this kid...yeah he's probably depressed, but I don't know if anyone has actually sat down and asked him some simple questions. Ok enough about him.
Patient 2 was a pre-adolescent who was having some behavior issues. I'm not sure what I'm getting to. But I don't judge these families. I do however judge the parents who don't immunize their children against anything. Why wouldn't you want to protect your children? The diseases that they protect against are ones that can kill you.

Ok this post was all kinds of random and if you can follow I congratulate you.

1 comment:

  1. i got a D in spanish in high school. my mom wasnt even mad. she was like "how can you get A's in AP bio and chem and fail spanish? get it together!" lol. i totally agree with your assessment of that kid.

    ReplyDelete