Sunday, February 28, 2010

Almost Done

With family medicine that is. I know I've been slacking at blogging. Honestly, I'm just so exhausted by this rotation, that the last thing I want to do is rehash my day. I only have this week left, and actually only have to work three days. Tomorrow, we have off. And Friday is my shelf exam. So that leaves Tues-Thurs. The bad part is that we are starting EMR....electronic medical records. The dr I work with is already slow. I am betting I'm there until 8 pm every night this week. Jake comes on Thursday. I'm excited.

I can't really think of that many stories.

I went in to see a new patient who was coming for a physical. I introduced myself. She asked if I was a state employee. I said no. She insisted I was. I said that I do not get paid and am not an employee. Then she says "I refuse to answer any question and you can absolutely not touch me." I just walked out. Strange huh?

A man came in with extreme low back pain and pain down his hamstring. He was standing, slightly bent over with bent legs and he was looking at us and rubbing the back of his leg. This was one of those things that just totally caught me off guard and was hilarious. The man is almost crying and I'm trying my hardest not to laugh. Seriously, I was biting my cheek. I wish I could show you the position because it was just odd and very funny.

I had examined an elderly gentleman and Dr. D came in to see the patient. While he's examining the patient tells him that I can't be a doctor. Dr. D gets a worried look on his face and asks why. The patient says "Well, she's too pretty to be a doctor." Awwww, isn't that sweet? Kind of. It's a strange compliment. So because I'm pretty I can't be smart too? Well, it's a good think I don't get upset easily.

And one more. Dr. D was telling me while he was a med student on his ER rotation, he worked with this female physician. She would walk into a room to see a patient and tell them that their body was like a house. If your shutters aren't working, you go to the eye doctor. If your siding is falling off, you head to the dermatologist. If your plumbing isn't working, you head to the urologist. If you need maintenance work, you go to the family physician. I am a fireman and your house is not on fire. Then she would turn around and walk out. Yeah, that was back in the day when you could choose not to see patients in the ER.

3 comments:

  1. Jenny! You are too funny! I love reading about your medical adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had someone say that to me once while I had my hand up a cow's butt (what else is new...). Right after he said that, the cow sprayed me with crap. I looked at him and said something along the lines of "Oh yeah? I think the cow disagreed."

    But seriously, why can't you be both pretty AND smart???

    ReplyDelete