Sunday, May 23, 2010

San Francisco!

This past week I flew to the other coast to attend ACOG. This was very exciting for me, as it was the first time I attended a conference that I would probably be attending the rest of my life. I met up with my classmate Annie who I haven't seen in two years! It was wonderful catching up with her and sharing this exciting time with her. I flew in Sunday, Annie met me at the airport, and we took the BART to the hotel. Since my flight was late, we didn't have much time to get ready for the first event. It was two round table events: the first was with program directors and residents discussing the interview and application process. The second was discussing CVs and personal statements. These were both very informative sessions. That evening we just walked around looking for a place to eat, came back and went to bed. The next morning we got up, headed to the Moscone center, registered, and listened to a talk on SSRIs during pregnancy. After that we started our journey through the exhibition hall! It only took us three trips over! Man, this was insane! I can't believe how big the booths are, and all the giveaways there were. I came home with a lot including: a textbook, three pregnancy books, many tubes of stretch mark and scar cream, lube, pens pens pens, maple syrup, many totes, vitamins, hand sanitizer, and a ton of papers! My suitcase weighed about 15 lbs heavier on the way home! I also delivered a baby with forceps on a simulator! That was definitely a new experience!

We headed back to the hotel to attend another med student activity. This one was two panel sessions about OB/GYN as a career and another on the interviewing process (this is a big deal). Again, very informative! That night there was a reception for the students and residents, which was kind of boring, but we met up with a new friend. After the reception, Annie, our new friend, and I took the cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf! We had dinner, found the sea lions, and just walked around.

Tuesday, we went to a session called "Stump the Professor." This is where residents present difficult cases to some of the renowned professors around the country and see if they can get them. It was a lot of fun, plus I learned a lot. The professors got 2/3 correct. There was a residency fair that afternoon, but only two programs that I'm even somewhat interested in were there. After that, Annie and I grabbed lunch and headed our separate ways. I hopped on the train to meet up with my old college roommate in Los Gatos. We spent the evening together and it was a total blast to catch up. I had a red eye flight out of San Francisco, which has totally screwed me up. So here I am, back in Ohio, awaiting my next insane trip.

1 comment:

  1. you posted a picture!!! yay pictures. we like pictures. we want to see more pictures. but not of gross things you see at the hospital. i dont want pictures of that.