Sunday, August 22, 2010

Getting Sick in the ICU

This last week, I've been the sickest ever since starting rotations. Monday was filled with fevers, sweating, and chills. Literally, I was walking around the ICU wrapped in a blanket. I went home early that day. And crawled right into bed where I stayed until the next morning. Tuesday, I called in. Wednesday, I went back but my voice started to get froggy. Thursday, I had no voice. I was whispering. I whispered all my presentations to my preceptors. I went to the doctor that afternoon and was put on voice rest. So I got to stay home on Friday as well. Now, getting sick is normal. People commenting on how awful you look/sound is also normal. What is not normal is that my preceptors completely ignored the fact that I was sick. I was whispering to them on Thursday and they acted like nothing was unusual about that. The other odd part about this is that I don't really think a sick person should be in the ICU, examining patients. Not a thing was mentioned.  And just as a sidenote, I am absolutely convinced I have serratia, as one of our patients had it. Stupid med student syndrome.

And as for hating this rotation, it is slowly moving its way into the position of worst rotation ever. It's been in second place this whole time, but I'm beginning to think it will be taking first place. Seriously, I'm not sure how on earth I will make it another two weeks. These are the longest days of my whole life. After these miserable two weeks, I'll be on 8 weeks of audition rotations....while exhausting, at least I'll be loving what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment