Saturday, August 14, 2010

ICU-The Rotation From Hell

I'm not kidding. This is going to be the longest month of 4th year. I'm doing this rotation with one of my classmates and good friends Paul. All I have to say, is thank God I'm not doing this rotation alone; I might literally die of boredom. Does that happen? I might have been the first. But, we won't be planning my funeral since I have Paul.

We have to be ready to go at 8:30 for rounds with the whole team (about 8-10 people). But, we have to be ready to present our patients in front of this group and have recommendations on a plan. So during the week, we are getting to the ICU at 6:30. From the time we get there until rounds are over, time flies. It's great. And then, we are supposed to read until the day ends at 5 pm. This can be anywhere from 10 am-1 pm. Seriously, 7 hours of sitting there and reading? While, yes, the study time is appreciated, it's a bit much. And I would much rather be studying at my house. Then we were also notified that we were expected to be there a few weekends. That's working 12 days in a row. Paul and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am today. MISERABLE. I had to break out the coffee pot this morning even though it's been so hot here. I didn't care, the diet Dew was not enough to support me through the morning. We were able to leave after rounds today, so it's not as awful. But still, it blows. I am absolutely exhausted. I took a 3.5 hour nap today. So like I said, not my fave. Plus, I'm supposed to take boards a week from Monday. I'm thinking I'll need to push those back since my studying hasn't been so great and I'm just so tired.

The good part is that the patients are mostly interesting and very complicated. Later in the week, I'll add some cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment